The Centre for Free Expression
is hosting the next session in the
CFE Virtual Forum Series.
The topic is: Publication Bans vs. Press Freedom & Open Courts.
Wednesday 27 October 2021, 4:30pm EDT / 9:30pm BST
The “open court” principle is a cornerstone of our legal system. The Supreme Court has reaffirmed stringent conditions for any judge considering whether to limit what can be reported from the courtroom. In practice, however, publication bans are often granted on scant argument or evidence.
Join an expert panel in examining what this means for press freedom, the public’s right to know, and the integrity of our legal system.
- Ryder Gilliand, Past President, Canadian Media Lawyers Association
- Alyshah Hasham, Courts Reporter, Toronto Star
- Paul Schabas, Judge, Ontario Superior Court
- Alexi Wood, Founding Partner, St. Lawrence Barristers LL
If you would like to highlight your whistleblowing events or activities on the WIN website, please drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Justin Safayeni, Partner, Stockwoods LLP