Progress Report on the transposition of the EU Directive
When: Wednesday 24 March 2021, 11:00 – 12:15 CET / 10:00 - 11.15 GMT
Where: Zoom, register here
Join Transparency International EU and WIN for the launch of their joint report: Are EU Governments taking Whistleblower Protection Seriously: Transposition of the EU Directive on Whistleblowing.
Transparency International EU is delighted to be hosting this webinar to share key findings of the report, highlight vital areas of concern in the transposition of the EU Directive so far and explore different perspectives on the importance of its adoption and implementation.
In 2019, the European Union adopted a ground-breaking Directive to ensure comprehensive and coherent protection of whistleblowers across Europe.
The twenty-seven EU Member States implementing the Directive have until 17 December 2021 to adopt it standards into their national legal frameworks including:
- introducing legal provisions which enable whistleblowers to seek compensation for whistleblowing retaliation,
- establishing obligations on organisations to introduce reporting channels
- imposing effective penalties against retaliation to protect those who speak up to stop harm to the public interest.
But how are Member States doing and are they taking their legal responsibilities to protect whistleblowers seriously?
Which countries are making progress and who is falling behind?
This important progress report provides an update on developments across Member States so far and crucially examines if the decision making and legislative process has been duly transparent and inclusive of civil society and whistleblowing protection experts. The Report highlights the enormous challenges ahead to ensure harmonisation of effective whistleblower protection across Europe before the deadline in just 9 months’ time!
Opening remarks and Panel Moderator
Anna Myers, Executive Directive, Whistleblowing International Network
Presentation of the Report and Key Findings:
- Marie Terracol, Whistleblower Protection Lead, Transparency International
- Ida Nowers, Law and Policy Coordinator, Whistleblowing International Network
Panel discussion: Perspectives on Transposition
- Georgia Georgiadou, Deputy Head of Unit, DG Justice, European Commission
- Radu Nicolae, Expert, Civic Network for Whistleblowing (CivicAIP) Romania
- National authority representative – TBC
Nick Aiossa, Deputy Director, Head of Policy and Advocacy, Transparency International EU
If you would like to highlight your whistleblowing events or activities on the WIN website, please drop us a line on email@example.com