This is the monthly roundup of updates provided by the EU Whistleblowing Monitor team of country editors detailing national developments in the transposition of the EU Directive on Whistleblowing during March 2023.
It has been over one year and three months since the deadline for all Member States to have fully transposed Directive 2019/1937.
Seven countries are still listed as delayed.
No country can be yet considered fully transposed - the EU Commission started and progressed infringement proceedings against most Member States.
20 Member States have now adopted Transposition Laws:
- Belgium : Federal public sector: Projet de Loi relatif aux canaux de signalement et à la protection des auteurs de signalement d’atteintes à l’intégrité dans les organismes du secteur public fédéral et au sein de la police intégrée was adopted on 08 December 2022 and loi sur la protection des personnes qui signalent des violations au droit de l’Union ou au droit national constatées au sein d’une entité juridique du secteur privé was adopted on 15 December 2022 and entered into force on 15 February 2022. Further decrees have been adopted to cover the regions of Wallonia, Flemish, German, and French speaking communities.
- Croatia : 'O Proglašenju Zakona O Zašiti Prijavitelja Nepravilnosti' was adopted on 15 April and entered into force on the 23 April 2022.
- Cyprus : ‘ περι τησ προστασιασ προσωπων που αναφερουν παραβιασεισ του ενωσιακου και εθνικου δικαιου και αφορουν το δημοσιο συμφερον νομοσ’ was adopted on 20 January 2021.
- Denmark : ‘Lov om beskyttelse af whistleblowere’ was adopted 24 June 2021 and entered into force 17 December 2021.
- Finland : ‘Laki Euroopan unionin ja kansallisen oikeuden rikkomisesta ilmoittavien henkilöiden suojelusta ‘ was adopted on 14 December 2022.
- France : ’Proposition de Loi visant à améliorer la protection des lanceurs d’alert’ was adopted on 15 February 2022 and was promulgated on 22 March 2022.
- Greece: 'Προστασία προσώπων που αναφέρουν παραβιάσεις ενωσιακού δικαίου - Ενσωμάτωση της Οδηγίας (ΕΕ) 2019/1937 του Ευρωπαϊκού Κοινοβουλίου και του Συμβουλίου της 23ης Οκτωβρίου 2019 (L 305) και λοιπές επείγουσες ρυθμίσεις' was adopted on 15 November 2022.
- Ireland : ‘Protected Disclosures (Amendment) Bill 2022’ was adopted on 21 July 2022 and entered into force on 01 January 2023.
- Latvia : ‘Trauksmes celšanas likums’ was adopted on 20 January 2022 and entered into force on 16 February 2022.
- Lithuania : ‘Pranešėjų Apsaugos Įstatymas’ was adopted on 16 December 2021 and entered into force on 15 February 2021.
- Malta : ‘ATT sabiex jemenda l-Att dwar il-Protezzjoni ta’ Informatur, Kap. 527’ passed the third reading on 14 December 2021.
- Portugal : ‘Proposta de Lei n.º 91/XIV and others’ were adopted 26 November 2021, published 20 December 2021 and entered into force 6 months later.
- Sweden : ‘Lagen om skydd för personer som rapporterar om missförhållanden’ was adopted 29 September 2021 and entered into force on 17 December 2021.
- The Netherlands : ‘Wijziging van de Wet Huis voor klokkenluiders en enige andere wetten’ was adopted 24 January 2023.
- Bulgaria: ‘закон за защита на лицата, подаващи сигнали или публично оповестяващи информация за нарушения’ was published in State Gazette on 02 February 2023 and will enter into force on 2 May 2023.
- Austria : HinweisgeberInnenschutzgesetz – HSchG was adopted on 23 February 2023.
- Slovenia : Zakon O Zaščiti Prijaviteljev was adopted on 2 February and entered into force on 22 February 2022.
- Spain : Ley 2/2023, de 20 de febrero, reguladora de la protección de las personas que informen sobre infracciones normativas y de lucha contra la corrupción was adopted on 20 February 2023 and enterers into force after 20 days.
- Italy : Decreto Legislativo 10 March 2023 , n. 24. Was approved on the 9 March, was published in the official Gazette on the 15 of March and will enter into force from July 17th 2023. ** NEW **
- Romania : Propunere legislativă privind modificarea art.6 alin.(2) din Legea nr.361/2022 privind protecţia avertizorilor în interes public was approved on 14 March 2023, and amended and published in the Official Gazette on 28 March 2023. ** NEW **
Transposition Bills have been issued in a further 7 countries:
- New whistleblowing law adopted in Italy
- Whistleblowing law in Romania amended
- Bill progressed in Parliament in Germany, yet stalls again